Berliners with vanilla cream with 01 Pilsner Spent Grain Flour
Dough for Berliners:
- Crumble the yeast in the lukewarm milk.
- Whisk in the sugar and let the yeast mixture rest for 5 minutes before adding the dry ingredients. Knead all ingredients together for about 10 minutes at low speed using a stand mixer or by hand.
- Add the room temperature butter and knead for an additional 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Divide the dough into pieces of 50 g each and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Let them rest for about 30 minutes under a tea towel.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a small pot - check the temperature with a matchstick; it is hot enough when bubbles form around it then reduce the heat to low.
- Place the dough pieces in the hot oil, about 3 at a time. Keep an eye on them to prevent them from getting too dark; adjust the heat as needed to maintain a constant temperature of around 170 °C.
- Fry the Berliners for about 7 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Once the Berliners are done, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a piece of parchment paper to drain the excess oil.
- Roll the fried Berliners in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and place them on another piece of parchment paper to cool completely.
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the vanilla cream and whisk well to dissolve the flour completely.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly - it's crucial that the mixture doesn't come to a boil.
- When the vanilla cream thickens and coats the back of a spoon, it's ready.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before filling the Berliners.
- Once the vanilla cream has cooled and the Berliners are also cooled, it's time to fill them.
- Insert a skewer or the end of a spoon into each Berliner and carefully hollow them out.
- Then, use a piping bag with a nozzle to fill the Berliners with the vanilla cream.
Nutritional contentEnergy (kJ) 1420
Energy (kcal) 339
Fat (g) 24,9
- of which saturates (g) 4,6
Carbohydrate (g) 23,1
- of which sugars (g) 7,2
Dietary fibre (g) 2,3
Protein (g) 5,2
Salt (g) 0,1