Cardamom rolls with 01 Pilsner Spent Grain Flour
- Start by crushing the cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle. Make sure to pound them well so that there are no large chunks of cardamom seeds.
- Stir the yeast and sugar into the milk until the yeast is dissolved. Stir a beaten egg into the liquid.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wheat flour, 01 Pilsner Spent Grain Flour and crushed cardamom seeds.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and start kneading the dough at low speed - on a mixer at speed 2 out of 3.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes and then add the salt.
- Continue kneading the dough for about 5 minutes until it is elastic and smooth.
- Finally, add the softened butter a little at a time while still kneading - knead briefly until the dough is uniform and smooth.
- Pour the dough into a bowl and cover with a lid or damp tea towel and leave to rise for about 45 minutes.
- Make the Butter-sugar paste: by mixing soft butter, soft brown sugar and crushed cardamom seeds until it is a uniform mixture - set it aside on the kitchen table.
- When the dough has risen, sprinkle a work surface with a little flour.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle of approx. 15 x 30 cm. Spread the Butter-sugar-paste in a thin layer over the entire dough.
- Fold the dough in on itself on the short side so that you have 3 layers that fold in on top of each other. Roll the dough a little further so that you have a rectangle of approx. 15 x 20 cm.
- Cut thin strips of dough (approx. 1.5 cm) - on the long side, so you have approx. 8 strips of dough.
- Twist your rolls: hold one end of the dough with your thumb and index finger with your other hand, wrap the roll a few times around your thumb and forefinger.
- When there is a 4-5 cm end of the strip left, fold it over the twist so that a ribbon runs across it. Fold the end under the base.
- If necessary, use your fingers to press the bottom out a little on the sides of the lace so that it has an "ear" on each side of the ribbon that goes over it.
- Place your rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper and let them rise for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- When the rolls have risen, whisk the egg and brush them with it.
- Bake in the oven for 12-13 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your syrup so that it is ready for the freshly baked cardamom twists.
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil and simmer for a minute. Keep the syrup warm, it will solidify when it gets cold. Remove it from the heat just before brushing.
- As soon as the tray comes out of the oven, brush the piping hot swirls with syrup.
- Let the swirls cool slightly before enjoying them while they are still freshly baked.
Nutritional contentEnergy (kJ) 1193
Energy (kcal) 285
Fat (g) 11,2
- of which saturates (g) 6,4
Carbohydrate (g) 37,2
- of which sugars (g) 13,7
Dietary fibre (g) 3,2
Protein (g) 7,1
Salt (g) 0,9