Christmas buns with 01 Pilsner Spent Grain Flour
- Start by removing the butter from the fridge.
- Roast the almonds in a frying pan for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat (both the ones for the dough and the topping). Remove 20 g of the almonds and save them for the topping.
- Mix and dissolve the yeast and sugar in the lukewarm milk.
- Then add the eggs, orange juice, zest, 01 Pilsner Spent Grain Flour, wheat flour, cardamom and salt.
- Knead the dough - either in a stand mixer (low speed) or with your hands for 5 minutes until the dough starts to come together and becomes smooth.
- Once the dough has come together, add the room temperature butter and knead it into the dough (in a stand mixer at medium-high speed) for a further 5 minutes.
- When the dough is shiny and smooth, chop and add the almonds and dried cranberries and knead them into the dough.
- Place a clean, damp tea towel over the dough in the bowl and let it rise for 60 minutes at room temperature.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and form the dough into 10 equal portions and shape them into buns.
- Place the buns on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover them with a piece of baking paper and a tea towel and let them rise for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Finely chop the almonds and mix with cane sugar and cardamom.
- When the buns are ready, brush the buns with beaten egg and sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake the buns for 12-15 minutes until they have a nice golden colour.
- Cool the buns on a wire rack and enjoy them warm with a generous layer of butter.
Nutritional contentEnergy (kJ) 1056
Energy (kcal) 253
Fat (g) 10,2
- of which saturates (g) 4,2
Carbohydrate (g) 29,5
- of which sugars (g) 5,1
Dietary fibre (g) 4,6
Protein (g) 8,4
Salt (g) 0,8