Spider cupcakes with salted caramel filling and 03 Stout Spent Grain Flour
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add sugar and syrup and cook until the mixture gets the desired caramel brown colour (about 10 minutes of cooking).
- While stirring the mixture, gradually add the cream and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until the mixture becomes smooth and uniform. Finally, add salt and stir to incorporate it.
- Pour the caramel into a bowl and place in the fridge. It is liquid when it is hot but solidifies when it gets cold. It is therefore important that you let it cool well (preferably in the fridge).
- Start by preheating the oven to 175 °C (fan oven).
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl: spent grain flour, wheat flour, sugar, brown sugar, dark syrup, baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla powder.
- Then add the milk, melted butter and eggs and mix thoroughly until the batter is smooth and even.
- Fill the batter into cupcake moulds (use a piping bag if you like) - the moulds should be filled about 2/3 full.
- Bake your cupcakes for about 20 minutes. Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan.
- Once the mixture is melted, smooth and uniform, pour it into a bowl and place in the fridge. It is important that it cools completely to make the mixture easier to work with.
- Start by mixing the white icing. You will need this for the eyes - make plenty in case they break. The icing should not be too liquid in consistency.
- Take the tip of a knife and dip it in the icing - dab a small round blob of icing onto a piece of baking paper and let it dry well.
- Cut a small piece of the liquorice ribbon and place it in the centre, like a pupil.
- Now start filling the centre of each cupcake with caramel. To do this, carefully remove some of the filling with a sharp knife, leaving room to either fill with a piping bag or very carefully with a small spoon.
- Then whisk the frosting together until it is fluffy and easy to work with. You can either choose to pipe the frosting with a piping bag and a piping tip. Or, as we did, spread it on and dab it on top until it becomes a fluffy spider.
- Then cut legs from the liquorice ribbon to a suitable length and stick them into the cake. Carefully (with the tip of a knife) lift the eyes and flip them onto the cupcake.
Nutritional contentEnergy (kJ) 1789
Energy (kcal) 428
Fat (g) 28,6
- of which saturates (g) 18,1
Carbohydrate (g) 38,6
- of which sugars (g) 32,5
Dietary fibre (g) 1,3
Protein (g) 3,7
Salt (g) 1,3